Founder and Director of Maroon Mindset Unlimited, Nichole is a vocal equality rights advocate and leader, using her Youtube channel, Maroon Mindset podcast and Human Touch blog to speak truth to power.
She is the Regional Head of Nursing and Midwifery at Health Education England, London. She regularly contributes to research and academic publications, speaks at events and in the media.
She was awarded a Honorary Visiting Professor at City, University of London in 2022 and practises the healing art of poetry.
Maroon Mindset Unlimited
Maroon Mindset Unlimited Ltd works with individuals to support them to be confident and empowered to make bold career moves. It offers consultancy and strategic advice to support the system and stakeholders to be more diverse, inclusive and fair.
The “Maroon Mindset Unlimited” approach involves providing “safe spaces” for open and honest conversations to be had for individuals and within teams and organisations on diverse representation at all levels of an organisation while empowering the team to generate innovative ideas for sustainable improvement.
Royal College of Nursing Institute – RCNi
Nichole is a member of the RCNi’s Nursing Management Journal Editorial Advisory Board and peer reviewer of a number of journals. She uses every opportunity to raise the profile of the image of nursing and ensure that the ‘nursing voice’ is heard.
The Health Foundation’s Q Community
Nichole is a member of the Q Community of quality improvement specialists who support the promotion of improvement within the health and care system, encouraging and connecting a wide range of people to effectively lead improvement. She wrote a blog for the Q’s Meet the New Member feature in December 2019. https://q.health.org.uk/blog-post/meet-the-new-member-nichole-mcintosh/
Media, public speaking and events
Nichole’s mission is to lift others as she rises. She advocates for equality and the voice of others in the nursing profession while speaking at events and in the media on a regular basis.
- Nursing Times Careers Live London and South East.: https://www.nursingtimes.net/events/watch-nt-events/watch-ntcl-london-south-east-2021-health-education-england-priorities-for-2021-22-06-2021/ – May 2021
- Nursing Standard Podcast: Interview skills https://rcni.com/nursing-standard/newsroom/podcast/job-interview-skills-tackling-tricky-questions-confidence-175886 – June 2021
- Channel 4 News: May 2020: Covid-19 & Disproportionate impact on BAME NHS Staff: Channel 4 News Report – May 2020
- The Jamaica Gleaner: https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20201118/trailblazing-jamaican-nurse-tougher-nails-credits-maroon-mindset
- The Jamaica Gleaner: Interview on appointment to Regional Head of Nursing and Midwifery, HEE London. https://youtu.be/hvZOIaXeq0w
- Loop Jamaica: Jamaican nurse making waves in the UK, nominated for Windrush Award – August 2018
- The Voice Online: https://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/jamaican-nurse-high-achiever-britain
- Jamaicans.com: First Jamaican to lead Florence Nightingale Commemorative Service Procession – May 2016
Other Media Features:
* The Jamaica Observer: https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver/posts/10154410452433801
* Good News Jamaica: http://goodnewsjamaica.com/health/nichole-mcintosh-nurse-advocate/
* Nursing Standard Journal careers article: A Passion for Research
Healing arts poet and fellow of the RSA
Nichole was awarded a Fellowship of the Royal Society of Arts in November 2019.
She writes poetry from the heart on a range of topics that help her to gain a calmer, more relaxed life perspective and philosophy. Poetry helps Nichole to manage her rare, chronic neuro-vascular condition, erythromelalgia.
“Writing poetry has been a cathartic experience that encompasses the process of putting pen to paper and allowing yourself to be vulnerable to others and their views and opinions.” – Nichole McIntosh
Creative and writer
Nichole is a prolific creative and writer using her Youtube channel, Maroon Mindset podcast and Human Touch blog to speak truth to power.
Vlog and Youtube channel
Maroon Mindset podcast
Human Touch blog